I didn’t actually think I would do one of these, but seeing all of my blogger buddies do recap posts got me in the mood to do it, too.
…That’s a bit of a dangerous mentality right there, oops.
THIS IS A LONG POST
REAL LIFE YEARLY REVIEW
- I finally got it through my head that my ex doesn’t want anything to do with me when she demanded to pay me back for the $50 giftcard to Sephora I sent her. It was in bad etiquette to give her a Christmas gift, I guess.
- I continued showing up to tournament venues (for Super Smash Brothers Melee) at least slightly buzzed because I knew my own talent wasn’t good enough to go far at all. Might as well have fun, right? Still didn’t pass out in the hallway like I did in October 2015, though.
- Failed my first midterm exam in my last economics class because I played mahjong instead of studying. Studied really hard and got an A in the second one. Did okay on the last one. My study buddy wasn’t happy that I received a better grade than him despite the fact that he had more points overall, so he stopped responding to my texts.
- Found my first job as an office person. I’m not fast enough at it, in my opinion. I cried once during work because I knew I wasn’t fast enough and I was trying to skip lunch so I can have more time to work. I think only senpai saw me.
- Went on three dates with three different people but all of them were just looking for the free meal. You’re welcome, I guess. 2-D is all I need, anyways.
- I have my own car! It’s eating up all of my money! I got rear-ended earlier this year because I went to buy squeeze bottles for sauces!
- Uh, my checking account went into the red earlier this week because I’ve been paying extra on my bills while carelessly spending what was left on games and food. At least I had some extra in my savings account to transfer over…
- But I graduated! Didn’t bother walking, but I have the little piece of paper and everything.
- Oh, and I started The Lily Garden a few months ago.
BLOG HISTORY TIME, OH BOY
A-anyways, I started this blog towards the end of May, intending to write about yuri visual novels, yuri anime, and yuri manga. But recently I’ve only been blogging about yuri anime. There just isn’t enough time for me to get to the other juicy yuri stuff. I’m pretty sure it has to do with me picking up other activities, but it may also have to do with the fact that I spend a lot of time on episode reviews.
Therefore, I think I’m going to cut back on anime episode reviews for Winter 2016. As stated above, I started the blog during the middle of the Spring 2016 season. Because of my untimely entry, I decided to wait until Summer 2016 in order to start doing episode reviews.
And so, during Summer 2016, I did episode reviews for Love Live! Sunshine!! and NEW GAME! (and Regalia – The Three Sacred Stars before it was cancelled for the season). Only two series; a bit weak, but I was still new, I guess. I wasn’t satsified with the output (which led to me coming up with several weekly features that have now fallen by the wayside), so I decided to step up my game for this season, Fall 2016.
For Fall 2016, I reviewed seven shows every week (Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume, Girlish Number, Stella no Mahou, Flip Flappers, Lostorage Incited WIXOSS, Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku, and Long Riders!). Much improved, right? Well, it’s a step in the right direction.
Because, to be honest, I want to review as much yuri mateial as I can. I missed a lot of shows during both Summer 2016 and Fall 2016 because I wasn’t sure I could keep up with the episode reviews. If I don’t do episode reviews, I have more time to watch more shows which means I have more series review to write up after the end of each season. I also have more time to play visual novels, draw (lol, my art is terrible), and maybe do things that I may share but I lack confidence in said things. We shall see.
In short, I might go for concise summarization posts like what Karandi does or short “Let’s Talk” posts like what Prattle does. Weekly posts regarding my thoughts on shows are also a possibility. I’m just not sure yet.
As a result of this, however, you can expect more posts on yuri visual novels (and maybe yuri manga)! I gotta help readers save their cash by letting them know which games are great and which ones are not, after all!
Also I’m going to start using italics for titles of anime and visual novels and stuff like a normal person. Wow!
BRIEF HIATUS IN MID-JANUARY
Well, during January 19th – 23rd, I’ll be doing the whole Genesis 4 thing. You know, riding a bus from SoCal to NorCal in order to play video games (SSBM) and get drunk in San Jose (which is where my ex lives by coincidence, harhar). I kind of regret signing up by now, to be honest, but what’s done is done. I’m thinking my lunch up there will be a bottle of bourbon. Maybe milk tea.
I’ll be on Twitter during these four days and I’ll try to check my notifications as often as I can, but please don’t get too mad at me if I’m sluggish to reply. I promise I’ll catch right up on posts when I get back from riding in a bus filled with grown men and body odor. Then again, I see myself making a quick exit during the tournament due to my inability so I might have all the free time in the world to chat with you all and read your posts, haha. We shall see.
RECAP POSTS FOR 2016 ANIME AND VNS?
I am a bit against doing lists if I’ve yet to see everything that there is to offer. Less chance to miss something that way, in my opinion (tell-tale sign of fussiness, I know).
So I did say I was planning on writing a thorough post about what I thought of the yuri / all-girls anime in 2016, but I’m still a bit short. Here’s what the list currently looks like. Crossed out entries are watched and reviewed; italicized are watched but yet to be reviewed.
Ao no Kanata Four Rhythm
Koukaku No Pandora
Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desukara
Nurse Witch Komugi R
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal Season III
Pan de Peace
Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge
Love Live! Sunshine!!
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 3rei!!
Show by Rock Shorts
Long Riders – (last two episodes delayed)
Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku
Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume
Stella no Mahou
Hibike! Euphonium S2
Izetta The Last Witch
Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desukara S2
Show by Rock!!#
Soushin Shoujo Matoi
So…I have a lot to watch before I can say that I’ve seen most of the 2016 shows that I should be covering. Common sense is telling me to cut my losses and wrap it up before 2017 arrives in the States, but my pride is telling me that I won’t be posting something worth reading if I am not thorough.
After some deliberation, I have decided that I will
a) ignore series that are sequels / spin-offs for now (excluding Hibike! Euphonium S2 since I’ve just watched the first season and loved it) – that means Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal Season III, Brave Witches, Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 3rei!!, Show by Rock Shorts, Short by Rock!!#, and ViVid Strike! are out. I will get to those shows (and their corresponding prequels) soon, but not for the big post. Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desukara S2 will also be put on hold.
b) avoid shows that had too much fanservice for now (Keijo!!!!!!!!, basically)
c) watch shows that had mixed reception in 2017 (Idol Memories, Izetta The Last Witch, Soushin Shoujo Matoi)
d) leave shows were yuri characters were the main focus off the list at the present moment (Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge)
So where does that leave me?
I’m going to have to watch Hibike! Euphonium S2, Nurse Witch Komugi R, Oshiete! Galko-chan, and Pan de Peace before I even think of writing this list. It’s painful that I’m cutting some shows from my post, but I have to draw a line somewhere. Guess I have a lot of watching to do today! I will aim to have the post out by tomorrow (or the day after). As for the shows I’ve yet to review, my thoughts on them will come out this week, probably.
What about visual novels?
There’s going to be no recap post for visual novels for now since my backlog is enormous. Maybe it’ll come out in 2017, but by then no one will really care about it, right?
I had flirted with the idea of making posts to celebrate Saki characters’ birthdays once 2017 started, but it would look soooo lame if I started missing some due to laziness / not enough time. M-maybe in 2018 ;________; (time to start making drafts of these posts for the next year!)
I have half a mind to scrap all these categories so it’s less cluttered. What do you think?
That’s all, folks! I’m sorry for making you read all that. Thank you for even bothering with this blog and I’ll hopefully see you all around! May 2017 start off great!